2013年11月7日木曜日

Sushi and beyond chapter4〜

Eventually, Michael and his family arrived in Tokyo.
They were so overwhelmed by crowded places in Shinjuku. In this chapter, they went to a "depachika" in Shinjuku's department store. He said depachika was astonishing places selling just about every type of raw ingredient and processed food imaginable, and many beyond imagining, both Western and Asian.
He also expressed that depachika was like a microcosm of modern Japanese eating habits. He was impressed with an array of tempura, tonkatsu, tofu, rice balls, grilled eels.
I enjoyed his expression of soysauce. He said "a strain of dark, tangy-sweet teriyaki-sause, that we would encounter in all sorts  of dishes throughout Japan". 
After reading of this chapter, I noticed that foreigners also like a semi-gourmet, it is called "B-kyu gourmet" in Japan, such as ramen, yakitori and yakisoba.

2 件のコメント:

  1. I am very interested in this book because foreign people wrote about Japanese food. I want to know how foreign people feel what is Japanese food. So I want to tell me more things that this book shows.

    返信削除
  2. It's funny that ramen and soba are considered B-grade gourmet in Japan. I imagine that ramen and soba specialty shops and the artisans who pride themselves in producing great quality ramen and soba aren't happy about that designation. I just started to hear the term recently.

    返信削除